Homemade Dog Treats

Sunday 2 June 2019



As the days are getting warmer, Jack and I are trying to make the most of these sunny weekends by taking our pooches out for long old walks in the Cornish countryside. 

Recently, it occurred to me that it would be lovely to be able to give the dogs some homemade treats (instead of the endless handfuls of trusty gravy bones!) when we're out and about, so I did a bit of research and decided to make some myself. 

If I'd have known they were this easy to make before, I would have made them sooner! The trickiest bit is deciding what to put in them! I'm pretty sure if you wanted to chop and change the recipe slightly to suit your own dog's appetite it would be really simple - just switch up the fruit or the stock as your pooch fancies. 

I bought some appropriately dog-shaped cookie cutters to make my batch, but you could use a simple shortbread cutter if your dog's not too bothered by the aesthetics (!)

This post contains a gifted item from Cornishware.



To make some yourself, you will need:

* 1 cup of wholemeal flour
* 1/2 cup of dog-friendly peanut butter
* 1/4 cup of mashed banana
* 1/4 cup of vegetable, beef or chicken stock
* Cookie cutters

Method:

1. Preheat your oven to 180c.
2. Combine the flour, peanut butter and banana in a large mixing bowl. Add the stock and stir until well-combined. The dough will be quite thick but don't panic! Once it's all together, use your hands to press the dough into a ball.
3. Roll the dough out with a rolling pin on a lightly floured surface until it's about 1/4 inch thick. Using your cookie cutters, cut the dough into desired shapes and place on an ungreased baking sheet.
4. Bake for roughly 18 minutes until golden brown.


Biscuits ready to hit the oven.


The biscuits will keep for up to two weeks in an airtight container. Plus, they look super sweet in a big old jar! I reckon that would make a very touching gift for a fellow dog-lover. 


Here's Penny enjoying a good few biscuit treats. I cheekily stuck them into her gorgeous new bowl with a bit more peanut butter to get some snaps of her chowing down, but I don't think she minded the extra challenge at all! 

The lovely folk at Cornishware kindly gifted me a couple of their Personalised Dog Bowls for this post. When these stripey blue bowls arrived a few weeks back, freshly engraved with 'Penny' and 'Archie,' my heart sang... it doesn't get much better than that for a dog-lover! Spoilt pooches indeed.


Here's Archie (and a bit of his best mate, Jack) with his new bowl. Pleased as punch.


Thank you very much to Cornishware for Penny and Archie's new bowls, I think it's safe to say they've been well christened now! I'll be washing the peanut butter licks out of the bottom for weeks to come...

Let me know if you decide to give these homemade treats a go! I'd love to see your pooches tucking into a handful.

In the meantime,
All my love,

Siân x

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© The Freckled Fieldnotes. Design by Fearne.