Fieldnotes: Tre, Pol & Pen


Over the bank holiday weekend, I was lucky enough to be given the chance to have a nose around a new farm shop that recently opened up near me. Aptly named, Tre, Pol & Pen (“By Tre, pol and pen shall ye know all Cornishmen” - think Penzance, Polzeath, Trewellard and Tresillian) this farm shop and kitchen prides itself on celebrating locally-made fresh food and crafts.


It actually occurred to me a while ago, when I first moved to North Cornwall, that someone should create a space for all the fabulous local produce and artwork being created in the area. We’ve got an abundance of tourist-led seaside galleries and the odd farm shop selling a Sophie Allport tea towel for every day of the week, but nothing that really cherishes homegrown Cornish wares.


This is where Tre, Pol & Pen comes in. 


It's home to the freshest-looking indoor farmer's market I've ever seen!

Plus, every line of pretty Cornish and Devonian produce I’ve stumbled across and ‘ooh-ed and aah-ed’ over on Instagram is stocked here. From the Insta-famous, organic Rose Tinkture Gin to coastal-inspired Ebb Flow blankets, you'll find the cream of the crop of local produce here.




Cornish Hot Dogs from The Kernow Sausage Co.


My personal favourites from Ebb Flow and Tinkture Gin.




The most attractive farm-inspired bodycare range I've ever seen, from Welsh Lavender and Tre, Pol & Pen's own tote bag.


Seeing all that pasta made me hungry. On to the Kitchen that sits adjacent to the farm shop.

It’s a gorgeous, wide open space and, as the weather was particularly nice that morning, I was lucky enough to be able to sit on a bench outside.


I was really happy to see the menu was chock full of local Cornish produce - yoghurt from Trewithen, Sourdough bread from Coombshead Farm, meat from on-site butchers and even the promise of local jams.

I got to the Kitchen just after breakfast, so decided to treat myself to a mid-morning coffee and cake.

The ladies behind the counter got a bit muddled over my order (it’s new, they’re new, I let it slide!) and I did get the general feeling that everything’s still in its teething stages when it comes to the menu BUT the cake I ordered was wonderful and my coffee really hit the spot – so no complaints here when it came to actually chowing down!



I'm glad I got some pictures in when I did, as that cake didn't last two seconds! What a lovely way to spend a sunny morning.


This is a rare little gem in the Cornish countryside and well worth a visit if you’re in the area - even just for a mooch around the shop. I can only imagine the Kitchen is going to get better and better over time, so that's definitely one to bookmark for the future too.  

Have you visited Tre, Pol & Pen yet? I can't wait to return (post-Pay Day!) and pick up a few of those handmade Cornish treats I've been hankering after for a while. 

In the meantime,
All my love,

Sian x

0 comments