Fresh Lemon Drizzle Cake


If you follow me over on Instagram, you'll know that I've been aching for Spring to start with every new gloomy grey day that passes. We've certainly seen glimmers of a new season here and there in little bursts of sunshine every other afternoon and the arrival of fresh lambs in the farm down the road... but we still (astronomically speaking at least) have almost another month of Winter left to go!

So, to combat this madness, I thought I would write a post all about a newfound favourite of mine that just so happens to radiate the fresh, sunshine-y goodness of Spring: the Ultimate Lemon Drizzle Cake.

+ I won't pretend, I absolutely cannot take credit for this yummy recipe as I found it over on The Londoner whilst browsing around the web for pretty Springtime bakes. However, when I whipped up a fresh loaf of this yesterday, I knew I had to share it with you all. It's pure perfection with a cup of tea and would make a stunning bake just in time for Mother's Day!  


Be warned, one generous hunk of this cake is not enough, so if you happen to have a family of gannets (like mine, who tucked in before I could even take a snap of the full cake in all its glory!) you might want to double up on the following ingredients and make two...

To whip up ONE zingy loaf, you will need:

- 3 large eggs
- 170g (6oz) self-raising flour
- 170g (6oz) caster sugar
- 170g (6oz) unsalted butter
- 2 lemons, zest and juice
- 110g (4oz) icing sugar

1. Grease a loaf tin and pre-heat your oven to 180c/350f. 
2. Add all the dry ingredients, plus the zest of the lemons and the eggs, into a large mixing bowl and cream everything together until you get a smooth batter. Pour the mix into your tin and bake in the oven for around 35-40 mins. Note- mine took around 50 mins to bake, so just keep checking and don't take the cake out until a skewer inserted into the top comes out clean
3. Whilst your waiting, mix together the icing sugar with the juice of your two lemons. This will be your drizzle, so make sure it's completely smooth with no lumps! You might even want to sieve the icing sugar here
4. When the cake is ready, remove it from the oven and use your skewer to prod it all over with holes.
5. Pour over your lemon drizzle and leave to cool. 


I hope this wondrously light and easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy bake brings a smidgen of sunshine to the rest of your Winter. If you do decide to make it, I'd love to see a pretty Instagram or two 🍋


Do you have a favourite recipe that you always whip up in Spring? I'd love to hear all about it in the comments below!


In the meantime,
All the love,

Siân x


1 comment

  1. A Lemon Drizzle cake is my go to recipe for Spring! I baked one not long ago and it always reminds me of the Spring and Summer months. Love your photos, such a beautiful set up! :)

    Kayleigh | anenthusiasmfor.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete