Simple Snack Bars





Following on from my previous post featuring some healthy picnic snack ideas, I thought I would share an old recipe of mine for some simple-to-bake snack bars. 

But, rest assured, you don't have to reserve these scrummy bars for picnics alone! Oh no! They're perfect for popping into your lunchbox or stowing away in your handbag should you need that quick sweet fix :) 

They're really easy to make and not too bad for you, so here's the recipe! If you'd like to give them a go...        



...you will need:
  • 65g margarine
  • 180ml runny honey
  • 50g brown sugar
  • 150g wholemeal flour
  • 200g rolled oats
  • 200g dried mixed fruit
  • 50g sunflower seeds or chopped nuts or chocolate chips!
The last 50g on the list is totally up to you! I had a pack of sunflower seeds and some dates handy so I popped those in, but you can add anything you fancy to make these bars as healthy (or unhealthy!) as you like :) 


Let's crack to it:

1. Preheat your oven to 180c/fan 160c/350f/gas mark 4 and grease a 25x25cm baking tin.

2. In a small saucepan, melt the margarine over a low heat. Add in the sugar and honey and stir until the liquid comes to a boil. Turn the heat down and leave to simmer for 5mins, then remove the pan from the heat and leave to cool.

3. In a large bowl, combine the oats, flour, mixed fruit and your extra ingredients of choice :)

4. Gradually pour the honey and sugar mixture into your dry ingredients and stir everything together well. Pour the mixture into your baking tin and press down firmly.

5. Bake in the oven for 25mins, or until golden brown on top.

6. Leave the tin to cool on a wire rack, then cut the slab into 8 big bars or 16 squares!




And you're done :)

I like to make a batch of these before I go to work for the week, as they make a delicious and energising mid-morning snack! Do you have any energising treats you like to take to work to wake you up? I'd love to know in the comments below.


I really hope you can give these bars a go- I'd love to see a cheeky Instagram or too if you do!


In the meantime,
All the love,

Sian x


2 comments

  1. These look delicious! I made a similar batch the other day but they were more cookies than bars. I'd love to try out the recipe :)

    Kayleigh | anenthusiasmfor.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kayleigh! These are really delicious :) I hope you give them a go! xxx

      Delete