(Gluten-Free) Earl Grey & Lemon Shortbread

Saturday 8 August 2015


I've been looking for an easy Gluten-Free biscuit recipe for a while, so when I stumbled across this one on Pinterest the other day I thought I'd better give it a go! The shortbread itself was incredibly simple to make (& I just love the speckled look of the dough!) so I decided to give it my own little twist by dipping the biscuits into some icing flavoured with Earl Grey's best friend- lemon. 


This simple shortbread dough is made up of three main ingredients- butter, sugar and flour (I used gluten free) and, along with the extra addition of tea leaves and salt, it all comes together really easily.


Earl Grey is my brew of choice, in fact I think it might just be my flavour of choice (I currently have my eye on a very tasty looking Earl Grey and Lemon Gin from Waitrose) so I had to make these biscuits that little bit special! I think the sharpness of the lemon icing adds a lovely contrast to the soft, fragrant flavour of the tea leaves in the biscuit.

Don't be shy with the food colouring when making the icing- you want a vibrant, lemon-curd yellow that stands out against the light brown of the shortbread.


I'm really happy with how these biscuits came out and can't wait to scoff a few with my next cup of Earl Grey! If you'd like to give them a go, here's the recipe:

Ingredients
For the shortbread:

- 1 cup (about 240g) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (50g) icing sugar
- 2 cups (240g) plain flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Earl Grey teabag

For the icing:

- 1 cup (100g) icing sugar
- juice of half a lemon
- few drops of yellow food colouring

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 180° (350° F).
2. Cream the butter and icing sugar together in a large bowl or stand mixer.
3. Sift in the flour and then add the salt and tea leaves. Continue mixing until a soft dough forms- if it's too dry, don't worry it will eventually come together...if too wet then add more flour as needed.
4. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface until its 1/4 inch thick.
5. Cut out the cookies using a 2 inch round biscuit cutter.
6. Bake on a parchment lined baking sheet for 20-25 mins or until the edges are golden brown. Take the shortbread out and leave to cool.
7. In the meantime, sift the icing sugar into a bowl and slowly stir in the lemon juice. Be careful not to add too much liquid- you want a gloopy consistency.
8. Add a few drops of yellow food colouring until you get a lemon-y shade.
9. Once the shortbread biscuits have cooled, dip them into the icing and then leave to dry.


Enjoy! And remember...


Sian x


Notes

Recipe slightly adapted from living better together.



Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© The Freckled Fieldnotes. Design by Fearne.